Thanksgiving & Black Friday kick off a holiday season with friends and family. Preparing meals and holiday shopping can be stressful. Enjoy happy and safe holidays with these tips.
HOW TO DEFROST A TURKEY SAFELY:
- The turkey can be thawed in the refrigerator. Allow one day for every 5 pounds of meat.
- The turkey can be submerged in water if it is in leak proof packaging. Allow 30 minutes for every pound of meat. The water should be changed every half hour.
- It is also safe to defrost a turkey in the microwave. Remove any packaging and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Thanksgiving safety tips
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that on Thanksgiving Day, more than 4,000 fires occur. Follow these steps to keep safe:
- Install smoke detectors in each room of your home with the exception of the kitchen and utility room. Reminder that smoke detectors need to be changed every 10 years whether they are battery operated or hard wired.
- Purchase fire extinguishers for each level of the home. Fire extinguishers should be checked yearly and replaced every 6 years.
- Don’t leave the kitchen while frying or grilling.
- Keep all handles of pots facing inward.
- Keep potholders away from the stove.
If a fire does break out in your home, get out, call 911 and then call Bouchard Cleaning & Restoration Inc. DKI. We service the entire state from two locations:Corporate office in Hampden 207-947-4454 and our Southern Maine office in Westbrook 207-536-7220.
Black Friday Shopping
Shopping early for those deals is essential for many people to stay within their budget during the holidays. With the excitement of family and friends and a large Thanksgiving meal in your belly, it may be hard to motivate to stay out all night shopping for deals. Here are some tips to make your shopping experience safe and successful.
- Plan ahead and bring a friend. Map out your route to get the best deals before they run out.
- Double check times. Stores in Maine are not open at the same time that they are in other states.
- Dress warm. If you go early to get the deals, you will be in line at least an hour.
- Bring large bags for easier unloading.
- Take a nap before going out to make sure you are well rested for safe driving if you plan to be out all night.