Mold has it’s benefits. It helps to make our beer, wine and cheese and breaks down the leaves in our yard. Most of the time it is not an issue. Mold is indoors and outdoors. Think of it this way… mold is similar to dust particles. Wherever dust can go, mold can go.
Mold will not grow without the proper conditions. The key to mold control is moisture control. Here are some tips to help prevent mold growth in your home or business:
- Make sure to have proper ventilation.
- Wipe excess moisture from window sills. Maintain low indoor humidity;(Below 60%, ideal 30-50%).
- DO NOT vent your dryer into your attic. This area is meant to be kept dry. Entering warm, moist air into the attic is almost a guarantee to cause an issue.
- Make sure to check sump pump hoses and functionality to ensure the excess water is being removed from basements.
- Fix leaky plumbing.
- Keep air conditioning (H.V.A.C) drip pans clean.
- Clean up water spills within 48 hours.
Bleach does NOT kill mold. Bleach simply lightens the appearance of mold, but does not damage the spore itself. Most mold spores are chlorine resistant. The only way to kill mold is to use an anti-fungal anti-microbial product.