Grease fires and fire extinguishers…what you should know.

Grease fires are the cause of so many home fires.

Should you encounter a grease fire, follow these steps to safely and quickly extinguish the fire:

  • Never use water on a grease fire.
  • Turn off the heat supply to the pan.
  • Place a metal lid over the flames to cut off the oxygen supply. Never use a glass lid as the heat can cause the glass to break.
  • Leave the pan on the stove. DO NOT try to move it.
  • Get out of the home and call 9-1-1

Fire extinguishers are classed by the type of fire they can put out. Some are combination types that can be used on several different types of fires.

Class A– combustible material such as a paper and wood.

Class B– Fires involving flammable liquids such as gasoline, paint, diesel fuel or solvents.

Class C– Fires started in electrical equipment by arching or overheating.

Class D– Fires involving combustible metal powders, flakes or shavings.

 

Remember this acronym when using a fire extinguisher:

P– Pull the Pin.

A Aim at the base of the fire.

S– Squeeze the trigger.

S– Sweep from side to side.

 

Note: Plastic fire extinguishers are a one time use only. Metal fire extinguishers can be refilled.

 

ALL fire extinguishers should be checked yearly and replaced every six years.

 

This is a great time to remind you that smoke detectors need to be changed out every ten years whether they are hard wired or battery operated.